Buyers are looking for the best, so a home for sale can easily slip through the cracks if it's not in clean and inviting. Use these 10 tips to whip your home into shape and WOW potential buyers.
1) Improve your landscaping. Curb appeal is crucial to a good first impression, so make sure your home's lawn is immaculate. Mow the lawn, prune the bushes, weed the garden and plant flowers.
2) Clean the outside. A sloppy exterior will make buyers think you've slacked off on interior maintenance as well. Be sure to clean the gutters and pressure wash your home's siding.
3) Make repairs. In a buyer's market, you want your home to be in the best condition possible. Take care of major defects like broken windows or a leaky roof that could discourage buyers.
4) Make the front door inviting. A fresh coat of paint, especially in a colour that contrasts with the home, will make the front door stand out. Replace faded house numbers so buyers can see them from the curb.
5) Buy a new welcome mat. Let buyers know they're invited into your home.
6) Remove clutter and depersonalize. Buyers want to envision their belongings in your home. Clean up by renting a storage unit for knickknacks, photos, extra furniture and other personal items.
7) Organize closets and drawers. Messy closets give the appearance that your home doesn't have enough storage space.
8) Make every surface shine. From ceiling fans to floors and everything in between, clean your home until it sparkles.
9) Take colour down a notch. You might like your lime-green bedroom, but it may sour buyers. Paint your walls a neutral color that will appeal to a wide range of buyers.
10) Eliminate bad odors. Hide the litter box and spray air neutralizer throughout your home. When showing the home, fill it with inviting smells by putting out fresh flowers or warming scented wax.